When it comes to bills, it can be hard to keep up - but we’ve got good news, for once. In case you missed it, the government’s Energy Support Scheme means you may be entitled to a one-off support payment or credit from energy suppliers.

Let’s work out which category you fit into!

Do you pay energy bills directly to a domestic energy supplier/s?

For example, you pay a company like British Gas or E.ON.


If so, you should have received 6 monthly instalments of £66 or £67 between October 2022 and March 2023. This is usually paid in credit to your bill account. Please check now so that you can query it with the company if you haven’t received it. You don’t want to miss out on that credit which could save you around £400.


If you have separate suppliers for gas and electric, only one provider would apply the credit so be sure to check all of your accounts.



Do you pay energy bills to a commercial energy supplier?

For example, you use a distributor company like Split the Bills or UniHomes.


If you do, then you may be eligible for a one-off £400 support payment. This isn’t automatic and you can apply for it via the Government website by 31st May 2023.


This is a one-off payment per household with the payment being made to the Tenant who applies, so they must ensure this is fairly shared between all tenants.



If you rent with all bills included within the rental, you are unlikely to be eligible as the prices are fixed at the start of the tenancy.


If you pay your Landlord directly, separate to the fixed rental amount, you will need to check with your landlord whether they have received the credit and whether this has been applied to your bills.


 You can read more about the help available with energy bills on the Government website.

If you have any questions or are unsure, you can contact SU Advice or SU Homes.


SU Advice suadvice@essex.ac.uk

SU Homes suhomes@essex.ac.uk